Are you tired of seeing your desktop screen flicker, watching poor-quality graphics, or repeatedly flashing error messages on your computer screen? Then you must learn how to reset graphics driver to keep graphical glitches at bay.
Graphical errors in a PC or laptop can occur due to many reasons. For instance- too much overclocking, dust accumulation, excessive heating and even changing the system’s graphic drivers can cause this problem.
Nevertheless, once you get to know how to reset graphics driver, you’ll realize that it isn’t a very clumsy and time-consuming task but the after-process reinstallation demands a little patience. And today, you’ll learn 6+ ways to reset the graphics driver of your Windows, Mac, and laptop.
How To Check If You Need To Reset Your Graphics Driver?
You know, the problem arising out of graphical glitches can be resolved within less than five minutes. How? Alright, all you need to do is press together these four keyboard keys- “Windows Logo key + Shift key + Ctrl key + B.”
When you do this, your screen will get all black in an instant, just a fraction of a second. But worry not, it’ll get back to normal with the same speed and will not impact any of your work. Any minute graphical error, if exists, will be resolved after this refresh. If you still experience the same graphical glitches, try the under-mentioned ways to reset your graphics driver and resolve the issue.
How To Reset Graphics Driver On PC?
Persistent graphics-related problems ruin screen resolutions and can hamper day-to-day working. But with the below-mentioned tactics, you can reset your graphics designer easily in Windows-
With A Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) Software
A custom resolution utility software can ease the process of resetting the graphics driver:
- Open a new tab and open this link- https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU.
- Locate and click “cru-1.5.1.zip” on top of the web page.
- Go to the downloaded zip file and extract it to somewhere you can easily locate it.
- Once done, restart the “Restart64.exe” file. On doing so, your screen will flicker a few times before a pop-up appears confirming that your graphics driver has reset.
- Lastly, click on “Exit” to opt out of the app, or else, you can give your system a restart as well.
NOTE: In case, after executing Step-4, your screen returns this message- ‘Windows Defender prevented you from running an unrecognized app because it might put your PC at risk,’ click on “More Info” and then click on “Run Anyway” to proceed.
With PowerShell Admin
If you’re a pro at computer configuration, you might already know how to reset graphics driver using the Windows PowerShell Admin. You can reset your graphics driver by making specific commands in the Powershell Admin. It is a command-based system configuration and management place. So to use it you need to-
- Simply press these keys together- “Windows + X” and select the “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” option. Or else, go to the “Start” tab and type in- ‘Powershell.’ Now click on the “Run as Administrator” option.
- Then click on “Yes.”
- Now you’ll see a new screen. Enter the following command- pnputil /enum-devices /class Display. Press “Enter.”
- You’ll see some driver-related details on the very next screen. From there, select and copy the Instance ID using the keyboard shortcut for copy, i.e, Ctrl + C.
- Afterward, your screen will flicker for a fraction of a second which indicates the graphics driver has been reset. Now enter the following command- pnputil /restart-device and press Ctrl + V to paste the copied Instance ID next to the command code. On structuring together, it’ll appear like- pnputil /restart-device copied Instance ID.
- Finally, press the “Enter key.”
With Task Manager
As you know, Task Manager is a typical go-to place for stopping an ongoing process. But what does it have to do with you learning how to reset graphics driver? Let’s see…..
- To open the Task Manager, press the following keys altogether- “Shift + Ctrl + Esc.”
- Go to the “Process tab” and hit the “Background Processes” option. You might need to scroll down a bit to find it.
- You’ll see a list of processes on your screen (AMD processes if you use an AMD Graphics Card and NVIDIA processes if you use an NVIDIA Graphics Card). Select any of the graphics processes from the list and click on the “End Task” option.
- Keep repeating Step- 3 for all the graphics-related processes and remember that your screen will flicker while your graphics driver will be getting a reset.
With Device Manager
Device Manager can be very effective in resolving graphical glitches in the system. Let’s learn how.
- Press this key- “Windows + X” and click on the arrow (>) next to the “Device Manager.”
- Right-click on the graphics card option and select the “Disable Device” option.
- Restart your PC.
- Again open the Device Manager and click on the arrow (>) next to the “Device Manager.”
- Right-click on the graphics card option and select “Enable Device.”
- This way, your graphics driver will get reset and your PC might get restarted.
Another way to reset your graphics driver with Device Manager is to Uninstall the driver. Here is the brief of steps you need to follow-
- Press “Windows + X” and click on the arrow (>) next to the “Device Manager.”
- Right-click on the graphics card option and select “Uninstall Device.”
- Check (✔️) the box in the pop-up notification and hit the “Uninstall” option.
- Once done, shut down your device and let it reboot, and watch Windows download the graphics drivers on its own. However, Windows will not download the latest version of drivers automatically. For that, you have to take the extra mile and download the latest driver from your-
Graphics card manufacturer’s website
PC manufacturer’s website
A third-party app
With Of Default Settings Graphics Driver
This is one of the simplest ways how to reset graphics driver and this article will unfold the process for three different graphics cards- NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel-
For NVIDIA Graphics Card:
- On your PC screen, right-click and select “NVIDIA Control Panel.”
- Next, click on “Manage 3D Settings.”
- Click on the “Restore” option in the bottom-right corner.
- Then restart your device.
For AMD Graphics Card:
- Right-click while on your PC screen and select “AMD Radeon Settings.”
- Go to the “Preferences tab,” then hit the “Restore Factory Defaults” option.
- Restart the PC.
For Intel Graphics Card:
- Right-click while on your PC screen and select the “Graphics Properties” option.
- Next, select “Manage 3D Settings.”
- Then hit the “Restore Defaults” option, click on “Apply,” and restart the device.
We’ve discussed how to reset graphics driver on Windows but if you’re an iOS user, we’ve got you covered too.
How To Reset Graphics Driver On Mac
Mac’s parameter RAM (PRAM) and non-volatile (NVRAM) suffice the display settings, resolution, color depth, and other graphic-related information. That’s why resetting these two can resolve display malfunctioning in your Mac. To start with:
- Firstly, shut down the Mac.
- Then as you switch it on, long press these keys together- “Command + Control + P + R.”
- On seeing the Apple logo flicker twice or hearing the starting sound twice, leave the keys.
And your Mac’s graphics are now good to go.
Some Other Alternatives:
Here are some easy peasy ways to overcome the graphical glitches of your computer system or laptop/Mac-
Update Your Graphics Card
One of the most typical solutions to most display-related problems is to update your graphics card. You can keep a check on your graphic card manufacturer’s website for this.
Check For Windows Update
Admit it or not, but we usually tend to forget to update our PC/laptop/Macbook at times. Thus it creates a lot of hindrances in everyday system functioning. So keep your system updated.
Check The Wiring
Sometimes you might be checking how to reset graphics driver in-system while the problem might be lying outside. Plausibly, there might be some loose ends that you need to check and fix properly for your PC and monitor.
Clean Your System Regularly
When dust particles accumulate around the hardware components of your PC/laptop/Mac, it can hamper the system’s internal parts as well causing problems in screen display. Apart from other hardware components, clean the screen of your Mac/PC.
A nice screen display is the most essential requisite for the everyday working of PC owners and laptop owners. But certain reasons can take that wonderful screen experience away which adversely affects everyday work. The above article enlists 6+ ways to reset the graphics driver to get a splendid display and screen experience.
• Content Writer at Mind Mingles
• Has presented her work in International Conference On Guru Nanak Dev Ji: Life, Philosophy and Legacy held at Mata Sundri College For Women and was awarded the title of “Best Paper Presenter” under College Student Category for the same (Dated: 27th and 28th September, 2019)
• Has a strong grip over creating interesting, unique and informative content pieces for a wide range of niches.
• A firm believer that words have an impact.