Manhattan is an island and one of the five boroughs in New York City. It is one of the popular districts where you will find a good mix of art, fashion, culture and business. It is also one of the most racially diverse places in NYC. You may be aware that Manhattan is famous for places like Wallstreet and Central Park. In addition to that, Manhattan is the perfect place to visit as you can rent rooms at incredibly low prices. Visit the website to find out what is available depending on your budget.
Facts about Manhattan NYC
There are other interesting facts about Manhattan that you probably were not aware of. These include:
- The first Fire Hydrant was installed in Manhattan NYC in 1808 and researchers claim that it was made of a wood casing. In 1817 the fire hydrants were made of iron and were installed throughout NYC.
- Ettore Hector Boiardi who was a famous chef known for his brand Chef Boyardee. His cooking skills were developed in the kitchen of the Pizza Hotel in Manhattan and the went on too become a famous chef known by many people throughout the world.
- Henry Louis who was one of the all-time baseball greats and played for NY Yankees, was born in Manhattan. he attended elementary and high school in Manhattan as well.
- The word Manhattan translates directly to mean island of many hills in Algonquian language.
- Manhattan is one of the most densely populated areas in the world.
A few things you did not know about NYC
- Some of the buildings in the US are so massive that they are given their own zip code such as the Empire State Building in Manhattan.
- The easy river in Manhattan is not really a river despite being called one. It is a waterway and measures 16 miles.
- The New York Times is one of the oldest newspapers in the country and is still in operation currently. It is known by people throughout the world.
- The Statue of Liberty, which is one of the most famous landmarks in America, is located in Liberty Island. The statue measures 46 meters high from base to its torch.
- The sunset of Manhattan occurs twice a year and refers to an event where the setting of the sun aligns with the east and west streets of Main Street in Manhattan. the first one takes place on 28 May and the second one on 12 July.
- The new 7 World Trade Centre is 52 stories high and is a commercial building found in Manhattan New York. It was originally completed in 1987 but destroyed in 2001 via terrorist attacks. It was then rebuilt in 2002 and completed in 2006.
There are so many marvels about Manhattan that you probably were not aware of. Besides being the most amazing city to live and work in, the city is breathtakingly beautiful. You must see it to experience for yourself. A whole new world awaits you in the city that never sleeps.