Are you having a hard time getting the cellular connection on your mobile phone? Then you might be a victim of IMEI failure. An invalid IMEI can give you nightmare as you will no longer have access to both cellular call facility and mobile data at the same time. However, there are way outs of this issue. If you have a cell phone with MediaTek processor, then keep following this article to know all about IMEI fixing.
There are a couple of reasons why the IMEI number becomes invalid. An invalid IMEI number disables your calling, messaging and internet surfing with mobile data. You can approach this problem with two different solutions. You can get a new IMEI number without rooting, or you can get the help of an IMEI number changing app. Keep reading this blog as I will discuss a detailed guide to both of these processes. First, let me give you a brief overview of the IMEI number.
What is IMEI Number?
IMEI or International Mobile station Equipment Identity number is a 15 digit number that is unique to every cell phone. The first 8 digits of an IMEI will give you the brand and model number of mobile while the next six digits are the serial number of that phone which is followed by a check digit. IMEI number is used by every GSM & WCDMA network provider to identify a valid device. Once your service provider recognizes the IMEI number, then only you will get cellular access on your phone.
If you somehow lost your phone, then you can track it using the IMEI number. So it is necessary to know your IMEI number. To know your IMEI number, you can dial *#06# from the dial-pad. Mostly every phone has one IMEI number. However, if a phone supports dual sim functionality, it will have two different IMEI each for a sim. You can also find your IMEI number in the retail box as well as in the battery of your device.
Why IMEI becomes invalid?
IMEI number becoming invalid is a common thing in this age of the smartphone. There are mainly two reasons which make your perfectly valid IMEI an invalid one.
- When someone tries to flash a custom ROM in his device, if you are trying to add a custom ROM to your device, be careful as this procedure triggers IMEI rejection in most of the time.
- When someone encounters network failure during OS updation, every smartphone requires periodic operating system updation. If your software updation stops midway due to lost connection or power shortage, then you may face issues with IMEI. So having a charged up phone and a secure network connection during OS update is recommended.
A phone with an invalid IMEI can still be used by replacing the invalid IMEI with a new one. Sometimes people discard their perfectly working IMEI number and get new IMEI to become untraceable. There are both upsides and downsides of changing the IMEI number.
Pros and Cons of IMEI change
First, let me tell you, there are many countries and regions where changing the IMEI number is illegal by law. So if you decide to change your IMEI number, make sure it is permitted in your region.
- Frequently changing IMEI will make your device virtually untraceable. If you think someone might stalk you, then you can change your IMEI to throw them off the track
- By changing the IMEI number, you can obtain a completely new device id for your device
- Generally, smartphones running on older version android doesn’t get OS update options. If you want to update your OS on your old phone, then get a newer IMEI number replacing the older one. A newer IMEI number will indicate your old phone as a new phone thus allowing you to update your android
- Changing IMEI number fixes invalid IMEI issue in your cellphone. If you have a broken IMEI number, you have to replace it with a new one to make you device work again
- Replacing IMEI number is illegal in some states and countries. Changing IMEI will result in prison time and a hefty fine if you are unaware of the law. So before changing, get complete knowledge about the laws regarding cellular usage in your region.
- IMEI number is hardcoded in your device. Swapping IMEI with a different one is a tricky process and can result in a damaged phone. So know the procedure in detail before applying it on your device
- Every smartphone comes with a manufacturer’s warranty against any defects within a year of purchase. If you decide to change your IMEI, you have to forfeit that warranty as well as your ownership claim to that device
As you have learned both the upsides and downsides of IMEI changing, you can now make an informed decision regarding it. So let’s move to the procedures of fixing invalid IMEI on MTK phones.
How to fix invalid IMEI without root
This method of changing IMEI number works in some android devices. So if it works on your phone, then you are in luck. You don’t need any 3rd party apps to change IMEI. Just follow these simple steps.
- Open your dial pad and dial *#*#3646633#*#* or *#7465625# and proceed
- Search the option named CDS Information and click it
- In CDS Information look for Radio Information and tap on it
- Now the information displayed in your device will depend on the sim running capacity of your phone. If you have a dual sim phone, you will find two separate options.
AT + EGMR=1, 7, “IMEI_1” for Sim 1 and AT + EGMR=1, 10, “IMEI_2” for Sim 2
- Here you replace IMEI_1 and IMEI_2 with your choice of IMEI numbers
- Lastly, click on Send to swap IMEI numbers in your device.
As I earlier said, this method will not work on every phone. If you don’t get any response by dialing *#*#3646633#*#* or *#7465625# that means your device doesn’t support changing IMEI numbers from Radio Information. In this scenario, you have to use IMEI changing apps.
Fix invalid IMEI with the help of 3rd party applications (for rooted devices)
There are several 3rd party applications available to fix your IMEI number issue in no time. Here are the top 3 apps you can use.
Formerly known as Mobile Uncle Tools, ToolHero is the most popular app to replace your invalid IMEI number with a new one. However, ToolHero’s functionalities aren’t only restricted to just changing the IMEI number. ToolHero can perform many useful operations to fix many issues regarding mobile devices. You can download ToolHero by clicking on this link. Here’s a detailed guide to use ToolHero to fix invalid IMEI on an MTK phone.
|System Requirements||Android 4.0+|
Download ToolHero v2.0.17.021
Steps to change IMEI using ToolHero
- Download and install ToolHero app from the link provided above
- Open the app and allow superuser permission if requested
- On the homescreen of the app, select the IMEI option
- After tapping on IMEI, wait for 10 seconds to load the interface properly
- Once its loaded, you will find two options IMEI 1 and IMEI 2 if you are using dual sim device
- Input correct IMEI numbers on IMEI 1 and IMEI 2 leveled box and click on modify
- Now the app you request you to share the app before it proceeds to modify IMEI. Share it in any whatsapp conversation
- When successfully shared, come back to the app and click on modify again
- After clicking modify, ToolHero will request you to restart your device. Select ok
- After restarting, your invalid IMEI issue will be long gone
Other features of ToolHero app
ToolHero offers quite a few useful features apart from changing IMEI. Here are some features that might be handy for an android user
1. Displays various device info
ToolHero shows maximum info about your device like CPU info, Kernal info, OS info, Screen info, Mount status, etc. You can get every info possible about your device.
2. Update your device
You can flash over-the-air (OTA) stock firmware in your device with the help of ToolHero. Just load the firmware on an sd card and ToolHeros Update Tool feature to install latest OS in your device
3. Power GPS Search
This feature can fix your GPS functionality in on time. If you think your GPS is not working properly, you can use power GPS search to make GPS work properly
4. Move apps to SD card
With the help of ToolHero, you can move all your apps to SD card and free up some ROM on your device. This feature doesn’t work on every device as some manufacturers don’t allow apps to move to SD card
5. Recovery Update
This app lets you update your present recovery to the latest one. This app also gives you the option to search recovery files from the internet and flash that recovery file from your phone.
Incoming search terms:
- apk toolhero
- toolhero apk
- toolhero imei
- toolhero recovery manual