Vaping is an emerging trend worldwide. More and more people are adapting vaping and moving away from smoking tobacco products. Vaping provides a healthier and safer alternative two smoking cigarettes as it does not lead to inhaling toxic gases and tiny particles of burnt tobacco. Vaping is proven to be 95% safer than smoking cigarettes. With the changing trends more and more companies have started producing and selling vaping equipment such as vaping devices and eLiquid. The eLiquids are the liquids which are made from vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol, water, food coloring, and nicotine. This eLiquid is then turned into vapor, by the vaping devices, which is then inhaled.
A Growing Industry
The global vaping industry is a multi-million dollar industry which is projected to grow at a huge rate of nearly 25% in the upcoming years and it may reach over 45 billion dollars (USD) by the year 2025. There are huge research and development done in order to create new and exciting flavors for eLiquid. Cyclops Vapor is an American company producing eLiquids expense months working on new flavors by blending many exotic as well as simple flavors.
What Makes an eLiquid?
This eLiquids is also known as eJuice or vaping juice. To understand its benefits and drawbacks it is important that we know what goes into making it. Let us look at the various ingredients that are used by companies such as Cyclops Vapor and others to create eLiquid.
- Vegetable Glycerin: Vegetable Glycerin, also known as VG, is extracted from vegetable oil. It is not oil itself; instead, it is a type of alcohol which is why it is safe to inhale it. This forms the base of the eLiquid and comprises around 80% of the volume. It is non-toxic and has no color or smell. It gives a sweet taste to the eLiquid and is also the reason behind the white colored dense vapor. In addition to being used as an ingredient for eLiquid it is also used to make several medicines and as a sweetener in many food products. It has not been linked to any health issues.
- Propylene Glycol: Propylene Glycol is known as PG and it forms the remaining 20% of the eLiquid that is not VG. It too is a type of alcohol and is nearly odorless and has a sweet taste. It is used as antifreeze and to keep medicines and other food products moist. Similar to VG it is non-toxic. Some people are sensitive to it which may result in them feeling unwell after inhaling the eLiquid which has a high content of PG. They should simply switch to other eLiquids which have more VG content. PG is classified as generally safe.
- Nicotine: Most of the eLiquids contain some level of nicotine in them. This is why these are used to replace cigarette smoking. The nicotine content in the eLiquid is measured based on the milligrams of nicotine present in one milliliter of the eLiquid. Broadly speaking there are 5 categories of nicotine content in the eLiquid, they are:
- No Nicotine: 0 mg
- Low amounts of Nicotine: 8 mg
- Medium amounts of Nicotine: 11 mg
- High amounts of Nicotine: 16 mg
- Extra High amounts of Nicotine: 24 mg.
In the European Union countries, eLiquids with more than 20 mg of nicotine content are banned. In Australia, eLiquids with any amount of nicotine are illegal.
- Flavoring: This is perhaps the USP (Unique Selling Point) of the eLiquids. There are hundreds of flavors of eLiquids to choose from. Cyclops Vapor and other eLiquid manufacturers work really hard to produce a new flavor that is not only exciting to taste but also safe to inhale. There are months of research and development that is required to create each of the flavors and many of these flavors fail in this R&D phase and are not even released.
The flavoring and the ingredients used to create the flavor are the key aspects in determining whether the eLiquid is safe to inhale or not as many ingredients may be safe to eat but not to inhale as they may contain oils. This is the reason why Cyclops Vapor invests huge financial and human resources into the research and development process of creating the flavors.